Sunday, March 13, 2011

Japan




I just want to state that I am very sympathetic and highly saddened by what has happened in Japan. While the above illustration may imply otherwise, the truth is that, the illustration actually highlights my inability to comprehend and/or accept the truth of this tragedy when I first heard about it.

When I awoke this Friday, in the morning, the first thing my roommate told me was that parts of Northern Japan had been struck with devastation. I didn't believe him, until I checked the news for myself. Even then, for reasons I have yet to fully understand, all I could think about while watching the news was just how unreal the situation was; like something straight out of a movie...a monster movie...like Cloverfield...or to be culturally more specific, the various Godzilla vs. (insert Godzilla's monster nemesis' name in here) movies. And so this imagery and this idea stuck with me; and it played out over and over in my head, because to me, this notion that a real-life monster was to be blamed for the damage and destruction seemed more plausible than the actual truth--what the news was reporting--which was that Mother Nature herself has caused this.

To keep this idea from playing over and over in my head, I thought it best to actually sketch an image in my sketchbook--a visual catharsis of sorts. I originally depicted Godzilla battling Mothra, with the two mythical titans destroying Sendai and surrounding areas in their wake. After some revisions, however, I made it a point to focus in on the truth; as much as I would have liked to believe that monsters had been responsible for all this damage and chaos, and justifiable deserving of blame, the real truth of the matter was that, only Mother Nature was at fault here. The only "monster" deserving of blame for the attack on Sendai this past Friday was Mother Nature. Accompanying this acceptance of truth, and reality, was a vindication of sorts--one that is to my mental benefit, and to the benefit of a certain mythical beast of legend who I had been falsely accusing for quite some time now.

My prayers and condolences go out to all those affected by this tragic event. In moments like this, the strength of our bonds, our humanity, and the fraternity that is our species, becomes all to apparent. Once again, my prayers and condolences.

No comments: